The Pandem Bunny
In June of 2016 we received a DM on our @catuned IG account from Felix. It was an inquiry for a build. We got to talking and things quickly went from there. The idea was to build a wide body e30 convertible. Felix took about 2 weeks to find a late model e30 that was good enough to get the job done. It was delivered from Southern California to Sacramento and we started to dial in the details.
As the Pandem Rocket Bunny kit arrived we started to take things apart to the core.
Nothing was left to chance. Full interior, top and more was all removed.
It’s at this point in time we came up with the idea for the Right Hand drive swap. We sourced most of the pieces from UK with some of the brake pedal hardware and linkage from Australia. Along with making some of the parts by hand and welding them in. It’s easier to have gone the other way around but the customer wanted to be different and we were here to get the job done. Getting the car low to the ground wasn’t hard. We sources Airlift Performance struts with Accuair management. Everything came together well and was installed/ tested.
The car went to the body shop where it underwent the full on treatment from the engine bay to the outside. We decided on the Ferrari grey or to be exact: Grigio Medio
For the inside we choose a local shop: Acme Tops & Tunes
They re-did the interior in a wonderful peanut butter color along with the custom red top.
All of the exterior trim was redone via our friends at Renewed Finishes. And once we received the car back it was time for final assembly.
For the engine we fully rebuilt the M20 motor. It’s reliable and plenty of fun to be had. Upgrading what we can along the way. Cooling system wasn’t left to chance with our CAtuned late model coolant hoses, CSF radiator, Spal Electric fan. All new accessories, A/C unit, rebuilt driveline, B&M Short shifter and much much more.
Custom set of shoes in the way of Rotiform. We went with the 2 piece CCV forged wheels and Toyo R888 tires.
All new Euro Smiley headlights, grills, foglights and rear filler were added to give that extra crisp look. We even added some evo fender seals. The car was really coming together.
1992 BMW 325i Convertible
- M20b25 w/ Polished cylinder head
- Custom CAtuned Valve cover & CAtuned insignia
- Fully rebuilt motor w/ heavy duty rocker arms & Gates Timing belt
- Custom Right hand drive conversion
- Custom Metal motor arms / mounts
- Poly street engine and transmission mounts
- Rebuilt driveline
- Re-sealed transmission
- New Sachs Clutch & Stainless steel clutch line
- Custom Wide body Pandem Rocket Bunny kit
- Custom 2pcs Rotiform CCV Wheels
- Custom Interior all redone in leather and double stitching: Dash, center console, door panels, seats and much more.
- Custom CAtuned Cluster done via Bavarian Restoration
- Custom Red Convertible top
- Manual convertible conversion
- Custom hidden airbag components w/ Full Accuair Management
- CSF Radiator
- CAtuned cooling hoses
- SPAL Electric fan
- Custom Motorsport Floormats in Grey
- All new Poly Bushings front and rear
- Motorsport Hardware Hardware & Spacers
- CAtuned Front wilwood 4 piston brakes & Matching rear rotors / pads along with stainless steel brake lines
- Custom Headers wrapped plus Flowmaster 2.5″ Exhaust / muffler
- Custom inner hood seal and insulator
- Grigio Medio (Ferrari Grey) PPG Paint w/ Show clear
- Asthetik door Handles
- Rear euro filler
- All euro front grills, euro trim
- Custom Speaker Enclosure and subwoofer / amp setup
- CAtuned Aluminum e-brake handle & shift knob
We delivered the car to the owner & he’s had a ton of fun with the car. Making minor changes as he he saw fit. The car turns heads everywhere it goes. From local coffee houses to full on car shows and magazine features.
The choice was also made to take the car to Sema.
We entered the car into the battle of the builders & ended up in the top 40.
Very honored to have gone against the best in the world.
With Sema over it was time to let the owner take back the car and enjoy it once again.
A few more 🙂